Sunday, July 22, 2007

Stage and Mid-Service

Currently in Yaoundé getting ready for my mid-service medical exams. All volunteers receive a physical, a check up at the dentist, and tests for all the various tropical diseases and intestinal disorders we tend to catch here. Mid-service lasts about a week, so I will be here for the next few days.

I came to Youndé from the village of Banganté, in the West province. I will write more about this in the future and will eventually post pictures, but I am helping out with "Stage" (training) for the new batch of Education volunteers. Last week this mostly involved teaching a lot of computer lessons to Cameroonian high school students while the stagaires (trainees) observed and took notes.

Although the water seems to be out all the time and the power is about as sketchy as Nanga's, I liked Banganté and what I've seen so far of the west province. It's hilly country filled with farms and is quite pretty. I also got to visit Bafoussam, one of Cameroon's larger cities. A little grungy and intimidating but I had a good time.

Stay tuned for more ...

No comments: