Monday, June 2, 2008

Thank You!

Back in February I posted an entry about a public health campaign I was helping out with here in Nanga Eboko started by my friend Jerome. In the entry and in private emails I requested help from friends, family, and any interested readers in raising the money for the project.

I'm happy to report that in the last few weeks we've successfully raised all of the money for the project. Last week on my trip to Yaoundé I picked up the check. We're now in the process of buying materials and organizing things.

Unfortunately it took a bit longer than we'd hoped, so that may delay the start of the project until the next school year since school is almost over. Since students are the main targets of the project, it won't really work to go into the schools when they're out of session. So, that part of the project may have to wait until the next school year starts in September or October. But, since I am staying in Cameroon for a third year I will be around to follow up and see it through to the end.

So, to all of you out there who contributed, THANK YOU! I and my friend Jerome thank all of you. We really appreciate it. I met with the principal of one of the schools involved today and he was very enthusiastic and grateful. In particular, I'd like to thank a few of my friends from college (you know who you are) who went so far as to organize a fund raising event for us. Thanks for all your hard work! For those who submitted their names I will be sure to send out thank you letters soon (a bit busy at the moment). For those who donated anonymously, this is my best shot at saying thank you.

I will post updates regarding this project as things develop. The school component may have to wait a while, but I am going to see if we can finish our work at the hospital and the prison before I leave Nanga this month. I will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks again!

No comments: