Sunday, April 15, 2007

African Geeks


Speaking of sci-fi and geekiness in general, it turns out Cameroon has a much larger geek population than I thought:

  • Stargate SG-1 is a popular show here. Runs in French on one of the cable channels here.
  • I have a student who grew up reading Marvel Comics, which can be found in French in Yaounde.
  • The other night I was in a bar and had a long conversation with a guy who plays Baldur's Gate, Ceasar, and Sim City.
  • Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings are popular here too.
  • Plus there's apparently kids here who own lightsabers.
Interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bryan, it was very enjoyable reading your blog. When I was in Edea,Cameroon(1998-2000)I had a lot of similar experience, though we weren't quite up to writing blogs. It's really a treat to get a snapshot of your experience.