Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Can I get an Ashia!?

Ashia! is a popular Cameroonian interjection used to express frustration, disappointment, or sympathy with someone experiencing said frustration or disappointment.

For example: the other day I saw a girl walking down the road with a big bushel of oil palm nuts balanced on her head. She slipped and dropped them. I reflexively said "Ashia!" in sympathy.

Yesterday I got an Ashia-worthy text message on my cell phone from my fellow tech volunteer Bill. Warning: this post will induce pain among techies reading this but may be incomprehensible to non-technical readers. The message (as typed):
Shit man this is painful. I'm helping an inspector who's a nice guy but doesn't know how to double click with a new 3.5Ghz Pentium dual core multimedia pc with a 20" flat screen & APC he just got from the World Bank. This thing kicks the ass of my system at home several times over & he doesn't know what he's got or how to even begin using it. Meanwhile i'm piecing together old crap to keep my p2s alive. Can i get an "ashia"?
Yes Bill, yes, you can: ASHIA!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian!

It's Christine from Toronto! I'm just back from working on the ship (Carnival), and MAN am I happy to be home! Can't wait to get together with you in NYC and feed you a good meal - although soul food night and Mexican night looked mighty good - did my coriander paste come in handy?! :)

Anyhow, Carnival is a real slave labour outfit and I am happy to be out of it! An adventure? Yes. Friends I will have for life and further travel? Yes. A blurb on my CV to advance other pursuits? Perhaps. A viable life to be lived on ships? HELL NO!! I'd rather eat that snotty stew you mentioned in one of your earlier emails! CAn't believe it's been a year already! I guess this time last year we were eating BBQ at my place and talking about your upcoming adventure. NIce know you're still kicking and I hope you DO get a nice Gov't job outta this one day!

Much love (and DEET!),

C.

Anonymous said...

Odama!!!!
hi from India New Delhi,i am from Nanga Eboko.My Uncle is currently the departmental delegate of education There.I was happy to read your blog about Nanga Eboko,people don't say much about that city even in cameroon.Uneblievable,i was very nostalgic this morning 11-09am in India probably 6-30there.I found your blog it makes me smile.Thanks to you.Have a good time there.Try a NAMGONE,VERY GOOD TASTE!!!
It IS OUR SPECIALITY.
If ever you visit India,drop to Delhi.
Take care bye fron now.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Brian! A round of snotty stew for everyone!

Dave

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday old fogey.

-Holli