Monday, September 3, 2007

Back at Post

Well, I made it back to post in one piece. When I got home the inside of my house was covered in cobwebs and lizard turds and the water line going into the house had been broken so I had no water. Fortunately the house is now clean and the water has been turned back on (after four days) so I can now bathe again. Internet is up and power has been pretty good (knock on wood) so everything is OK.

Well, almost everything. Before I left the knob on my gas tank broke so it could no longer be closed. My colleague Souaibou got it out of my house so in the event there was a leak my house wouldn't fill with gas and explode, and he swapped a spare empty tank with me when I got back.
My first full day back I took the gas tank into town to the Total station where I was told they're out of gas and haven't had any shipments in three weeks. So, I can't cook anything or boil water. I've been eating at restaurants in town, at friends' houses, and buying bottled water to drink.

When I arrived I was asked if I would teach English and Computer classes this year to the students at the college (in French "college" means a private high school) that shares the campus with the University. Partly because I was afraid it would conflict with University classes once they start in October, partly because I wanted to use my free weeks when I have no University classes to work on computer classes for teachers and local members of the community, partly because the computer classes would be without computers and I'd just be teaching on a blackboard, and partly because I'm just not real jazzed about teaching at the high school level, I politely declined. They were disappointed but I think my time will be better spent working with adults.

I also had some sad news when I arrived. The eldest daughter of my next door neighbor died of a fever (not sure which disease) while I was away, leaving a six year old daughter behind. I had met her several times and she was a very nice woman, so I was saddened by her death. Then, the day after I returned, one of my colleagues lost his twelve-year old daughter to malaria. I stopped by yesterday to pay respects and he and his wife are both clearly devastated. I wish I could do something for them but unfortunately there's not much.

So, everyone here is in mourning. We're going to put some sort of memorial service together for them later this week.

Sad news aside, its been nice to finally be back in village and see all my friends and colleagues after more than a month's absence. Feels like I'm ... dare I say it? ... home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian

I have sent what is called The Parable of a Promise, to your personal email. Plese use it as you wish. It is particularly helpful when dealing with the lose of a child.

Tom