Monday, September 3, 2007

Deodorant and Baby Powder

Water has been a problem for me the last few weeks.

First I stayed in Bangangté, the village Peace Corps used for training this year. it was a nice place but the water was out about three days out of every four while I was there. Then, on my vacation to the Northwest province, I spent a few nights in the village of Bafut, where the water was also out the whole time. Then, when I finally made it back to post the water line for my house had been "broken." Don't ask me how.

A few lessons learned:
- You don't REALLY need to bathe every day. Especially if you're in the cool mountains like I was and not sweating a lot.
- If you had to lug around big cans of water instead of just turning a tap you wouldn't bathe every day either.
- Bucket baths are really refreshing when you haven't washed in three days.
- Putting on deodorant and patting down your body with baby powder will give you an almost-shower-fresh feeling and smell. For a little while anyway. Something to remember next time you go camping.
- Running water is a good thing.

No comments: