Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Go (South) West Young Man!

Tomorrow I'm travelling to a province meeting in Makak (pronounced "muh-kahk", and no, we never stop making jokes about it) and then heading to Buea in the southwest province again. Volunteer Bill was recently able to get hold of a load of donated computers for the Teacher's Resource Center in Buea where he works. By a stroke of luck, he was able to score a couple of extra computers for me, so I am going to collect them this weekend.

As some of you will recall, I visited Buea and the Southwest back in February for vacation and had a great time, so I'm looking forward to heading back. Buea has a lot of good cyber cafes so if I can I will try to post some more from there. In the meantime here are some pictures I took at the time that didn't make it into my original post. Enjoy!

Some shots of Buea Town, the downtown heart of Buea. Or maybe I should say uptown heart of Buea, since the city is built on a mountainside and Buea Town is located above most of the other neighborhoods.


An old German colonial administration building still in use. When the Germans (the original colonialists here) arrived in the 1880s Buea was their first colonial capital. An old British style mailbox from the days when the Southwest was a British colony. Hard to make out here but the "EIIR" insignia, which means Elizabeth II Regina, is still on the box.Books and Things. One of the many used book stores / junk shops found in Buea. Depending on the day of the week "And Things" can include old computer games, wedding dresses, bowling trophies, soap, chainsaws, hardhats, and collectible Bruce Lee action figures.Bill on the campus of the University of Buea.
Taxi cabs in Anglophone Cameroon are all filled with entertaining stickers for some reason.
Someone doesn't speak German as well as they think. One of the many very weird things I've seen since arriving in Cameroon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

since you've already seen the big lights of Buea you can spend your whole trip getting liquored up and browsing the 'n Things shop. glad for your computers!

Hev said...

Brian, thanks for the photographic tour of Buea, I really miss it and it was great to see again! Hope you have a good trip - Heather and Joe

Anonymous said...

"My Struggle Snack Bar." Stop by on Riefenstahl Madness night when it's all you can eat Triumph of the Nachos.

Dave